Whether you own an Apple iPhone or a Samsung Android phone, it’s likely that your cellphone is a constant companion, accompanying you almost everywhere. The portability and convenience offered by these devices brings about unexpected challenges, and one of the most notable issue is their susceptibility to collecting dirt and grime. Review our best cleaning tips and tricks below to safely clean your phone!
Ensuring you have the right materials on hand to clean your cellphone is crucial for maintaining its optimal performance and hygiene. Using incorrect cleaning agents or materials can pose potential dangers, ranging from damaging the device’s sensitive components to compromising its protective coatings.
By choosing the appropriate cleaning materials, you not only preserve the integrity of your device but also contribute to its longevity. We recommend the following materials to safely clean your phone:
- A soft cloth such as a lint-free cloth microfiber cloth
- Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol
- Clorox wipe or other disinfecting wipes that are at least 75% alcohol-based – for use on the exterior of your phone only
- Cotton swabs
- Distilled water with a couple drops of dish soap
- Screen cleaner that has been manufactured with the purpose of keeping the oleophobic and hydrophobic coating intact
We do NOT recommend using the following materials to safely clean your phone:
- Standard cleaning products unless expressly noted above. Examples of everyday cleaning products that will do more harm than good:
- Full strength Bleach
- Window cleaner or other cleaners with ammonia
- Paper towels
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Compressed air
5 Easy Steps to Safely Clean Your Phone
- Wash your hands using soap and water or hand sanitizer
- Turn off your phone and ensure that it is not plugged into earbuds or a charger.
- Using one of the approved cleaning cloths, gently wipe down your phone’s surfaces in small, circular motions. Be careful to avoid getting any moisture in the openings. This should remove a majority of smudges, fingerprints, gunk, and grime.
- If a gentle wipe down with your cloth doesn’t remove all imperfections on the back cover of your phone, utilize your approved cleaning wipes (at least 70% alcohol) or a slightly damp microfiber cloth to rub out any stains.
- To address the lingering stains on your phone screen, utilize a specialized screen cleaner. Use the spray bottle often provided with the cleaner to spray the cleaning solution on your cleaning cloth to wipe down your phone screen. Do not spray the cleaning solution directly on your phone screen.
- Use a cotton swab with one of the approved cleaning solutions above (isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol) to gently clean around your power and volume buttons.
- Allow your phone to air dry (do not use a hair dryer, compressed air, or anything similar)
Cleaning Your Charging Port
If you are having a problem with your phone’s charging port not charging your device or you have noticed that your charger doesn’t fit all the way in, we highly recommend bringing your phone for an evaluation by a trusted repair facility like iResQ to have a trained technician perform a full diagnosis of the charging port.
Bonus: iResQ provides a free diagnosis for every device!
While it is relatively simply to safely clean your phone, your charging port is a whole new game. There are many videos and articles advising users to clean out the crevices of their charging ports using a toothpick. While this can be effective, we encourage extreme caution when utilizing this method as you may accidentally cause more damage to your charging port.
Routine Maintenance and Preventatives
Incorporating routine maintenance practices is essential to ensure your phone remains germ-free and functions optimally. When running errands, consider keeping your phone in your pocket or purse to minimize exposure to germs in public spaces.
Additionally, when selecting a new phone case, prioritize protective options that safeguard harder-to-clean areas, such as the charging port, volume buttons, and power buttons. These protective cases act as a barrier against contaminants, reducing the risk of germs accumulating in these vulnerable spots.
Furthermore, investing in a high-quality screen protector adds an extra layer of defense against bacteria and smudges, making it easier to safely clean your phone and maintain a hygienic phone surface. By incorporating these simple practices into your routine, you contribute to the overall cleanliness and longevity of your device.